comics and nonsense by everyone's pal, alex.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

JOHN CARTER Sketches, 1999

This past weekend, I was talking to my buddy Dean at a comics show in the Pacific Northwest. He had created some very awesome prints for the event, including this one, featuring Captain John Carter.

Looking at his illustration, I remembered some sketches I had done, all the way back in 1999, when I read all the books during my last year in college, after finding an awesome SCIENCE FICTION BOOK CLUB hardcover edition (Frazetta cover) in the comic shop I was working at at the time. It reprinted (among other novels) SYNTHETIC MEN OF MARS, which to this day might be one of the most ridiculous and awesome things I've ever read.

On my return home, after a good chat with Dean, I went digging through some old sketchbooks. These sketches weren't hard to find- almost an entire book was filled with doodles of Barsoom, Tharks, and Red Women. These are a few of my favorites.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

Dean Trippe said...

I love these, dude. I've been keeping them unread in my RSS reader since you posted them, just so I could keep checking them out. Great seeing you at Emerald City! :)